Wednesday, February 08, 2006

It's My Birthday. I'll Bitch If I Want To.

So here I am again, the earth has made it once more around the sun without me dying or it blowing up, though it's coming closer these days it seems.
 
Happy Birthday to me.  Today doesn't mark a damn thing for me to be completely honest.  Ok, I didn't die this year, woopie.  No big change has happened.  I don't feel 'older' than I did yesterday despite the insistance of people throughout my years that I should have by the fact they always ask me that same stupid question.
 
I'm not a year older today.  I'm a day older today.  That's it.  One day older than I was yesterday.  One hour older than I was an hour ago, and a few minutes older when I end this post than I was when I began it.
 
I'm not really that jaded, I'm not even really in a bad mood, despite the propensity of birthday's to put one in a foul mood.  Mostly I'm just looking around at the world and wondering what on earth there is to be so excited about to still be alive.  I'm wondering why we really give so much importance to the fact that 29 years and 9 months ago, my parents had sex. 
 
Unless, of course, it was artificial insemination, but I'd rather not discuss it.
 
So I'm staring outside and thinking, that's nice, it's not raining today.  I can actually see a bit of blue sky and just maybe the river won't flood this time around.  I like the rain, but 1 solid month of it wears on anyone.  Well, perhaps not people in drough-ravaged areas.  Why can't I box up the rain for my birthday and send it to Africa?
 
Maybe I can request a bit of snow from the North Pole.  It *is* supposed to be winter, after all.
 
So to celebrate the fact that I'm one day closer to dead, my parents will be taking me out to dinner tonight.  I'm quite grateful my mother hasn't (yet *cringe*) presented me with a birthday cake from Costco.  Those are like, 3 times too big and the frosting is so sweet I can't even eat it, and I love frosting! 
 
Yes, I'm being contrary today.  I suppose I could help it if I wanted to, but I don't really.  I had to smile and get my picture taken for another five years on my driver's license.  The problem is, the gal told me I had to take the scarf off for the picture.  I took the scarf off from around my neck.  She said, no, the one on your head.
 
Don't get me wrong, I have no qualms about taking it off like religious affiliation or anything.  But think about it.. just how well groomed will my hair look after being stuffed under a scarf half the day!?? Exactly.  And *this* is the picture that will be gracing my government issued ID for the next five years.  Sigh.  My only hope is to never be pulled over.  hmm.. And never buy alcohol.  Or write a check. 
 
I'm doomed. 


Brings words and photos together (easily) with
PhotoMail - it's free and works with Yahoo! Mail.

7 Comments:

Anonymous ro-ro said...

Aw man, I didn't know it was your birthday. Have a happy one even if it doesn't feel remarkable.

You wear a scarf on your head? I tried once but got weird looks and never did since. :P Doesn't matter, I'm not that girly anyway.

4:02 PM  
Blogger elengil said...

Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. It depends on what I'm wearing in general. Given that I usually get weird looks for what I wear *anyway*, a scarf on my head hardly makes a difference ;)

I'll see if I can find some pictures of me in various scarves. I use them like hats. I don't look good in hats, but I look good in scarves so it's the same idea.

BTW, ((huggles)) Ro. Thanks darlin.

4:09 PM  
Anonymous Imp said...

Ha! So now I have your birthday marked in my diary - and you really are doomed! Doomed to receive cards with quirky covers and Deep and Meaningful messages which are my trademark. :D

I tend to see birthdays as (1) an opportunity to weigh my year, to reevaluate where I am, how far I've come, whether I've chosen well or ill on the path...

And (2) an opportunity for those I love to celebrate my life. Yes, I guess that is self-centred in a way - but think! Don't you enjoy the opportunity to celebrate the life of someone you love? It's simply returning the favour, allowing them to do so.

And in that light...I hope the birthday meal was enjoyable, and that the cake was not overly sweet but a tasty indulgent treat.

Have a lovely year, Elengil

PS. I like scarves very much! I wore one on my wedding instead of a veil - it was in the same red silk as the dress and was quite festive.

Pics would be good.

5:05 PM  
Anonymous Frelga said...

Happy birthday Elengil dear!
As a friend of mine told me, getting older can be hard, but it sure beats the alternative. ;)

Here's to another year of making and wearing fabulous clothes, writing, creating, being silly, thoughtful, enchanting - being alive.

P.S.: Yes, pictures would be great.

6:33 PM  
Blogger elengil said...

(huggles) Impy and Frelga

I love you guys. I promise, pictures... eventually *whistle*

9:45 PM  
Anonymous sandyg said...

Happy unbirthday! I do like your blog, and hope that tomorrow (today, actually) will bring you a few smiles. There is lots to smile at....Nathan Fillion, children learning to fly a kite, puppies....and you are good at noticing such things, I have observed! *huggles*

4:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Claire here.

Well, hope you had a good b-day anyways....

8:54 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home