Saturday, March 11, 2006

Jarhead

Tomorrow, once I've sobered up, NO doubt I will rethink some of what I'm about to write.

The ability to realizes this somhow has never prevented me from saying what I think at the time.

I just finished watching the movie.

Now I can't seem to stop crying.

I know way too many military guys, I know way too much about the military.

We talk about plagues of the 20th century... we think AIDS or cancer or the fucking west nile virus

Yet we never include war in that list.

War is the plague of mankind. War is the thing we can't seem to ever find a cure for. We teach our children. Fucking 18 years old. I don't care what anyone says, those are fucking kids we are sending out there. We teach them to kill. We teach them to hate their enemy. To kill them before they kill us. And then we have the audacity to act surprised when something like Abu Ghraib happens. We dare to be shocked that those children we dehumanized to fight a war, act dehumanized.

And it doesn't matter what flag they follow, what ideology they profess. I'm sure the kids in Iraq didn't want to be fighting us either. I'm sure they wanted to be home with their families, to be safe and ...

My cousin was over there in the first war. I have two cousins over there now. I have a friend who is fucked up from being over there and there's not a damn thing in this world I can do for him because he's fucking 3000 miles away.

And I don't have an answer to why. I don't have the answers to why a family in Iraq is fatherless anymore than I have an answer to why a family in America is son-less.

People are dying and I can pretty much guarentee most of them did not want to die.

I know too many guys in the military. My Pakistani ex-boyfriend is being sent to Afghanistan and I'm pretty sure he doesn't want to die over there. I used to know someone... the last time I heard from him he was sent to Afghanistan. I haven't heard from him in two years.

How many families in the world tonight go to bed wondering where one of their loved ones are? How many sons are missing, fathers killed, daughters raped,...

All the plagues in the world can not begin to compare to the plauge of mankind. The plague of war. The plague that could truly wipe us off the face of this earth.

We are our own enemies. G-d help us all, because I don't see that we have all that much time left.

War has always been on this earth. But now when we wage war, we have the ability to destroy the whole earth with it.

G-d help us all.

4 Comments:

Blogger The Sandmonkey said...

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think G_d likes to get involved in wars all that much or help us in them for that matter.

Maybe it's the manichean in me, but as much as I hate wars and conflict, I find that they do help in one way: They help us get rid of moreal relativism pretty quick. Nothing defines good and evil in men and their actions as much a war does. The difference between right and wrong becomes as clear as day and night. It's why then, and only then, does courage show its face in men's souls and actions. The drawback is, of course, that while it brings out the good in men, it also shows them their capacity for evil, and most of them can't handle that. Hell, most of us can't either. But unfortunately that's the way it is. We only show our true colors in the most horrifying of circumstances, but we also pay the price of living with what we have experienced.

7:36 AM  
Anonymous Imp said...

I haven't seen Jarhead (nor heard of it, before reading the reference here) so I can only guess at what triggered this deep, emotional response in you.

I agree that war is a plague, unique to humanity and we are the carriers of this deadly 'virus'.

Every year, at Passover, we intone the 10 biblical plagues that descended upon Egypt and we have a moment's silence for the destruction and pain caused thereby - we remove a drop of wine from our glasses for each plague in order to symbolically lessen our own pleasure in commemoration. But in our household, after intoning each of the 10 original plagues, we also reflect on the modern plagues which beset our world, and war is always on the top of the list, in addition to the despoilation of the planet by our myopic selfishness.

We, humanity, do epitomise both the sublimation and the degradation possible in life.

Elengil, dear, I'm sorry you are feeling it so powerfully right now.

5:22 PM  
Anonymous Imp said...

Oh - and I quite agree with the monkey! God (should there be one) doesn't take sides. What a completely ridiculous and self-centred view of creation, to think the creative force of the universe is necessarily on ''my side".

5:24 PM  
Blogger elengil said...

Impy, Jarhead is a movie about a platoon of Marines in the first Gulf War.

My response was a combination of the movie, the fact I know too many guys over there then and now, and the four glasses of wine I had.

1:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home