Wednesday, May 31, 2006

My Oldfashioned-ness is showing again...

So, like it or not, at heart, I'm a very old fashioned girl with pretty old fashioned morals, desires, views and ... even poetry! LOL

Came across something that reminded me of this the other day and so I figured I'd share it with the two of you who read ;) Since y'all seem to like the poetry. Never did give it a title, though it has a rough melody.




Come now my daughters, there's work to be done
The dreams must end for there's clothing to mend
Come now my daughters, the sun breaks the night
The cattle are lowing, the goats must be fed

Soon now my husband will leave for the fields
His shirt must be whole and his feet be kept dry
Soon now my husband will leave for the day
He trusts his wife to tend home while he's away

Come now my daughters, there's work to be done
The floors must be swept and the bread set to bake
Come now my daughters, let no daylight be lost
The lamb must be roasted and the oil lamps trimmed

For when my husband comes home from the fields
The lamps must be burning to light his way
For when my husband will sit down to eat
He'll need a good meal set before him tonight

Come now my daughters, there's work to be done
There's water to be drawn and set on the fire
Come now my daughters, evening birds call
The sheets must all be returned to the bed

Soon now my husband will come from the fields
He'll want to wash the day's dust from his face
Soon now my husband returns to his home
And then I shall lie within his embrace

3 Comments:

Blogger tooners said...

I think this would be a great folk song... or some type of blues...

I like this... I'm sorta old fashioned, depending on the topic. I rebelled years ago and have gotten more stubborn, but there are big pieces that are still old fashioned.

10:31 AM  
Blogger Aodhan an Chalaidh said...

I see it more as a 'washing song', something that mother and daughters would sing together while doing a chore that required some kind of rythym or was monotonous, to make it go along easier.

Of course, that may just be because of my penchant for Shanties.

12:50 PM  
Anonymous Mina said...

This would would make a nice folk song :)

11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home