Saturday, May 20, 2006

Today's Topic: Music

I'm a fan of music. I love music. I think I'd rather go blind than deaf, really. But that's asside...

I don't really know a lot about music. I'm far from being an uber-music-geek. I know what I like, and fortunately for me, I like a whole heck of a lot!

I've recently taken to infecting others with my taste in music. My very eclectic taste. I figure it's about time I have something to say on the subject.

What is it I like about music? Sometimes I love the words. Sometimes I love the sound, even if I could live without the lyrics. Sometimes I love the feelings it invokes or the mood it puts me in.

There is no way I could even begin to give a list of favorites here. I have no favorite band, no favorite style, song, artist... I do have a few I would chose not to live without, given the choice.

But I think everyone should expand their musical horizons. Today I'm here to help you all along, best I can.

So, much as I'd love to, it'd be wrong (and slightly illegal, ya know) for me to actually send each of you some of my current favorite songs. I can't really expect you to all go out and buy all the CDs it would take. But what I'm gonna do is give you a list of some great places to find certain songs/artists/CDs and hope you decide to check some of it out.

So we'll start with, of course, Amazon. Now I realize not everyone likes the place, but it's a good place to at least get you listening to sample clips of some of the following, so I'll be using it. Of course, you are not obligated to buy anything (as if you needed to be told that) but do check out some of the following.

We will also start with Nordic. Yep, pretty much any style of music is gonna get its own entry here. Someday I might spend a whole entry describing exactly how I discovered nordic music. For now, I'll just point you in the direction of some that I like best:

Hedningarna: Hippjokk. Hedningarna is the band, btw. I love this CD. I'm not good at describing music, really, but if I had to pick a word, I think 'primal' would be it. It's very different from their other CD I own, which is Karelia Visa. Now if I had been given the songs off these two albums, I would have never guessed them to be the same artist! Karelia Visa is very bright and alive, almost the other end of the spectrum from Hippjokk, but both so perfect in their own way. Check out some of the sample clips.

Garmarna: Vengeance. The first song on this album, Vulture, was showcased in lyrics in a previous entry of mine. This is one of those songs that I adore the lyrics to it, and I like the song an awful lot, but the two don't always seem to go together in my mind. Nevertheless, it's a song I'm proud to own. Garmarna has also been responsible for one of my favorite nordic songs, Vänner och Fränder (Friends and Kin) from their God's Musicians album.

En gång ska han gråta is another song that I adore, which I discovered on my Nordic Roots CD. (note, it's listed in the track list as One Day He'll Cry - the english translation to the title.)

Last one is the compilation Wizard Women of the North. There are only two songs on the entire album I don't love. The music is beautiful and their voices are amazing! I only wish I could sing like this. My favorite song on the album must be Gjendine's Lullaby. If anyone reading this has any idea what the lyrics to this song are, I'll... well.. be very very grateful for a very long time!!

There we have it. I hope you'll enjoy some of these geese I've sent you chasing, and if nothing else, you'll have had your horizons expanded just a tad. Enjoy the journey, for that is the worthier part.

3 Comments:

Blogger tooners said...

i also love music w/ a passion. i think your selections are good ones...

my husband is a composer/producer/musician. he has a couple of CDs out... it's more ... categorized as World/dance - some trance. he sings in some songs - Arabic. you might really enjoy it. let me know and i'll give you the link if you're interested.. or you can find it listed at my site.

i like your taste in music. i think i'll give some a try. :)

11:34 AM  
Anonymous Mudblood said...

I have expanded my music horizons because of you, but you knew that already.

My CD collection is growing (Celtic Woman and Vienna Teng just to name two) and my TV is getting a nice long break from me. *nods*

Thank you. :)

- Mud

4:34 PM  
Blogger Sirocco said...

Here's a link to a translation of the lullaby. Don't miss the mp3 file with old Gjendine, who died at 101 in 1972, singing it.

And here's a link to the famous piano version of the song by Edvard Grieg (whose even more famous Peer Gynt music was recently performed at the Giza plateau, by the way). Grieg met Gjendine, then 19, in the Jotunheimen mountains in 1890. She sang the traditional lullaby to her sister's baby. Grieg wrote it down and named it for her.

Here's a nice album with another version of the lullaby, and some more songs from the same region, performed by Unni Løvlid.

Cheers!

10:42 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home